The wastewater treatment system is based on the natural wetlands of the river mouths, designed by German engineering, which try to debugging the most natural way possible, minimizing energy consumption.
The treatment of wastewater has different phases:
– The wastewater is conveyed to the treatment plant (by gravity)
– Separation of non-biodegradable items (baby wipes, tampons, compress, etc).
– Separation of oils and fats
– Vertical Filtration and first purification process with sand, roots of plants (reeds) and bacteria living symbiotically in the roots.
– Horizontal Filtration and second purification process with gravel, roots of plants (reeds, sedges, bulrush, iris, …) and bacteria living symbiotically in the roots.
– Discharge to the stream meet acceptable pollutant levels
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF THIS SYSTEM DEDUGGING.
The advantages of this system are:
– Natural purification system that is integrated into the natural environment scenically
– Low power consumption
– Minimum maintenance
– Fits camping seasonality:
– Summer period: higher occupancy of camping — increased activity of plants and increased evaporation
– Winter Period: camping lower occupancy (weekends only) — lower activity of plants.
– This natural system supports point loads above its capacity, short periods (long weekends, Easter, special holidays) in which there is a large influx of customers.
The disadvantages of this system are:
– It is only suitable for small establishments with accommodation capacity because the relationship sewage m2 / person is very high.
– The system can be implemented in the Nordic countries, but in Spain is fairly new, so technicians have to come from Germany. In Spain have a contact person.
– Not suitable for establishments that close a few months, because plants and bacteria need to have a minimum contribution of wastewater during the week.